LG G3 was introduced in May 2014 and it is one of the most trusted brands by the users and customers worldwide. It is the larger version of its predecessor: LG G2, which means that one of the best seller and best Android phones of 2013 have got its bigger and better variant. This flagship device has impressed its users by both the hardware and software. Installing a custom ROM will make the Android device a lot more amazing even if they come with the best hardware and software.
Even after a year of its release, it remains one of the best high-end Smartphone you can buy. It features a True HD-IPS + LCD capacitive touchscreen of 5.5 inches protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3, 13 MP OIS rear camera with Autofocus and a 2.1 MP front shooter camera for selfies, 3GB RAM, 16 or 32GB internal storage capacity and can be expanded to 128GB via microSD card. It has 2.46 GHz Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor, backed up by a 3000mAh removable battery and has a base of Android OS of v4.4.2 (KitKat), upgradable to v5.0 (Lollipop) and planning to be upgraded to v6.0 Marshmallow. It has a light-weight metallic design. The smart keyboard feature is improved; supports LTE, the screen offers the finest visibility with 1-Watt speakers having Boost Amp to give a sound effect like surrounding. The KNOCK CodeTM offers the most secure, simple and fun way to unlock your LG G3. It is definitely a value for money.
The shape of the device is a bit different from its rivals because of its angular exterior. On the exterior, it is not only made of plastic but with a solid stuff that gives a smooth, glossy and meta-like effect. It is more durable than aluminum. It has dual-band Wi-Fi, micro USB connector, and contains an infrared blaster, NFC, DLNA, A-GPS and FM Radio.
LG G3 Pros and Cons
- Excellent QHD screen.
- Premium design.
- Powerful performance.
- Decent battery life.
- Intuitive Graphic UI.
- Hassle-free wireless charging.
- Sensible and improved smart indicator.
- KNOCK Code.
- Smart Notice.
- Smart Keyboard.
- LG Health.
- LG G Watch (sold separately).
- LTE support.
- Long-lasting battery.
- Stunning camera.
- The presence of microSD card slot.
- Too big screen size.
- Plastic material based.
- Buttons are present on the rear.
- Low internal storage.
- Middling design.
- The battery is low as compared to its competitors.
- Not water-resistant.
- Lacks fingerprint sensor.
- Heating issues.
- Knock On causes issues.
LG G3 costs $1066.44 or Rs. 50990 for 32 GB internal storage.
AT&T has made the LG G3 available at $199.99 for a two-year contract or $24.17/month for 24 months or non-contract price at $579.99. Sprint has launched its availability at $199.99 for a two-year contract or $25/month for 24 months or non-contract price at $599.99. LG G3 is available at T-Mobile for $24.95/month for 24 months or $ 598.80 on a non-contract basis. Verizon is offering LG G3 at $599.99 or $99 with a two-year contract or $29.22/month for 20 months. Go grab this beauty at the above cool schemes.
The worthy competitors of LG G3 are Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S6, Google Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6, OnePlus One, Xperia Z3 and HTC One M8.
LG G3 is an impressive device but does have some disadvantages that may affect the experience that it creates. Hardware and software are great as usual in LG Smartphones. There are some added functionalities like Dual Screen mode and the built-in File Manager. It is a nice surprise bundled into one but with a few caveats.
If you have purchased your LG G3, then it is recommended that installing a custom ROM will take your device to a next level. It will get you a different interface with a whole lot of features, and boost up your phone’s performance and battery life as well.
When LG G3 was released there were a few number of ROMs available, but now I will provide you a list of the custom ROMs that are best for the phone, which are used by G3 users and are satisfied with their performance, features, and stability. ROMs are very good for daily usage, are fast and smooth working.
A custom ROM is a standalone (able to operate independently of other hardware or software) version of the OS, includes the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc. – everything you need to smoothly operate the device, except that it is modified by someone in some way.
One of the major advantages of rooting an Android Smartphone is the caliber to install custom ROMs. Primarily, a custom ROM is a firmware which was designed by developers in order to bring improvements on the phone. It replaces the stock firmware of the phone.
Installing a custom ROM will bring forward these changes that won’t go unnoticed:
- Improve the device’s speed and performance. Custom ROMs make phones smoother and highly responsive.
- Enhances the battery life.
- Changes the user interface. Some custom ROMs bring a new UI which will make you feel new and different while using your old phone.
- Custom ROMs generate new additional features and apps. Custom ROMs bring additional features like apps and customizations.
Before you proceed to install any one of the Custom ROMs mentioned below, you’ll need to root your LG G3 device first.
Both the processes (rooting your device and installing Custom ROM) are risky, and if anything goes wrong you may end up bricking your device. Make sure that you follow these tips carefully.
- Make sure you have the exact device and variant.
- Make sure that your LG G3 is rooted. If not done properly, then installing a custom ROM may end up bricking your device.
- Unlock your LG G3 phone.
- Make sure that you install a Custom Recovery in your LG G3 phone.
- Make sure that you download the compatible ROM with the LG G3.
- Create a backup of all your important data and files.
- Make sure that you have fully charged your device or have at least 70% of the battery.
Rooting your device or installing a custom ROM may hamper your device’s warranty. So, proceed with caution. This process may delete all your important data and files. Hence, keep a backup of all your important files or make a Nandroid backup. Keep a backup of the internal storage of the device in case anything goes wrong. Reader’s prudence is advised.
Before you begin, make sure that you backup all your important files and data. This process may delete all your data from your device except form the internal storage. Hence, a full backup or Nandroid backup is required. Before flashing the ROM, take a Nandroid backup. Also, keep a backup of the internal storage of your device.
You can install custom ROMs to experience a smooth and powerful performance. Custom ROMs are the modified version of Android Operating System, which is based on the source code released by the device manufacturer or Google.
Custom ROMs have its own distinctive characteristics and tweaks with enhancements. You will definitely get the best performance from your LG G3 as compared to stock ROM. here, we have provided you a list of the best custom ROMs for LG G3 which would allow you to choose the best one that is compatible with your Smartphone. You only have to find out the one that’s right for your device without getting hanged during multitasking or other heavy tasks.
How to install a Custom ROM in LG G3:
Step 1. For installation of custom ROM, we should have a rooted Android Device, an internet connection, USB cable and a computer.
Step 2. Download the ROM .zip file and copy it to micro-SD card
Step 3. Turn off the device and enter into recovery menu.
Step 4. Perform a full wipe and factory reset.
Step 5. Select to install the ROM .zip file from SD card in your LG G3 phone.
Step 6. After installation reboot the device.
Step 7. It will take certain time in the booting process.
NOTE: The installation procedure is same for all custom ROMs.
We have listed some of the best custom ROMs which will help you to select the best custom ROM compatible for your phone.
Best Custom ROM for LG G3
CloudyG3 2.5 ROM- CloudyG3 ROM comes directly from XDA developer named Cloudyfa. It is based on the stock LG G3 Firmware (LG G3 D855 ROM). It gives a fast, stable and fresh experience to its users. It has a clear and smooth user interface and the features get merged with android Lollipop, to increase the performance of the device even in heavy tasks. The performance boosters make the device perform smoother even in heavy themes, icons, widgets, etc. everything works like walking on a cake with improvements and here you won’t face any issues with the apps.
- Call recorder- You don’t have to go through the lengthy process of getting the call recording option. This ROM comes with a built-in call recording app which allows you to record calls with a single click and you can save it, and listen to it whenever you desire.
- AdAway host file- This ROM provides an inbuilt Ad blocking app which uses the hosts file.
- Debloated- It means reducing the file size or removing the unwanted files and sensibly using the left space for other important stuff.
- LG G4’s Camera App- This feature is great for Selfie and camera lovers as it has an enhanced picture quality and capture speed.
- G4’s UI- You can feel the experience of G4 in your G3 device.
- Aroma Installer- It is used to keep control over the apps that are being installed. You can modify your installation by using this installer.
- Gapps- Here, you will get all the latest Google Apps such as Gmail, Google+, Google Camera, Google Earth, Maps, Messenger, Hangouts, YouTube, etc.
- G4 keyboard.
- init.d support.
- Full weather animations.
- Much more.
CloudyG3 2.5 ROM Details and Download
CyanogenMod 12- CyanogenMod is a free community-built software of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, which is designed to increase the performance and stability of stock Android on your device. It is an unofficial ROM, based on the AOSP with many contributions from the people in the Android community. It can be used without installing any Google application. You are required here to provide your own Google application package (Gapps).This official ROM is developed by the CyanogenMod team, is based on Android v5.1.1 Lollipop firmware, binaries, and kernels. In nightlies you may encounter some bugs, it is not recommended for those who expect stability form the custom ROM. It is based on CyanogenMod.
What are these nightlies? These are considered as the experimental version of a software that is under development or is being tested. The CyanogenMod team updates the software on a daily basis.
It is one of the most popular and reliable custom ROMs compatible with almost most of the Android devices and has great performance. It has a simple user interface. CyanogenMod brings new features which will increase the performance even more.
- Simple And Fast- It has a simple user interface and has better performance.
- Theme- Thousands of beautiful themes are made available which can be downloaded free of cost.
- CyanogenMod Apps- With this app you can have direct access to the latest CM ROMs, and the latest versions of CF-Auto-Root, GApps, CWM and TWRP recovery.
- DSP Manager.
- Privacy guard.
- Advanced CPU functions.
- Trebuchet launcher.
- CyanogenMod profiles.
- Improved battery life.
- There might be some issues as it is in nightly mode.
CyanogenMod 12 Details and Download
BlissPop ROM- This ROM offers a completely modified option, as to why one should go for BlissPop. It is a highly modified ROM and has a modified user interface. It is based on the official CyanogenMod 12 which means it not only has added features of CyanogenMod 12 but also comes along with new features and enhancements. It is a highly customized ROMs with the Android v 5.1.1 Lollipop, with unlimited options and tweaks. It is open-sourced which means anyone can contribute towards the betterment of this ROM. it clearly organizes and manages all the separate apps that you always used to find cluttered in your app drawer.
- Customizations– Can customize almost every section of the user interface such as Sound Options, Lockscreen Options, Display and Light Options, Navigation and Button Options, Status Bar, etc.
- Power menu options – Under this power menu, there are many setting options such as Reboot, One Click Reboot, Screen Shot, Screen Record, Profile Exchange, etc.
- Sound options– options which control the sound of the device.
- CM Apps– It is based on CyanogenMod
- OTA Updates– Get latest updates by OTA Updater.
- Beautiful bliss wallpapers are also present.
BlissPop ROM 3.7 Details and Download
ChupaChups ROM- This is one cool ROM available for G3 devices and is based on the stock Lollipop firmware. It keeps a glance on the stock, but also brings in many tweaks in order to improve the smooth functioning of the device. It has an inbuilt debloated facility which saves memory, which means the unused apps are removed by it. This ROM ensures performance with tweaks for getting a better and improved user experience than other ROMs. It is based on the LG’s stock firmware. Here you can enable modifications and themes as much as you want. it uses a stock kernel.
- Stock Firmware- It aims at maintaining a close look on the stock updates.
- Debloated- It has an inbuilt Debloated facility which saves memory and unused apps are removed hence, increasing the performance.
- High performance- There are many tweaks such as Build.prop tweaks, Zipaligned, which enhances the performance
- Best suited for simple users.
- OTA Updater- Get latest updates by OTA Updater.
- Support for Viper4Android- It is the advanced version of DSP Manager. It offers best audio effects.
- SD card fix.
- Navigation bar size.
- A split window for all apps.
- Call recording.
- Smooth scrolling.
- Volume control.
Euphoria OS- It is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project), it has several tweaks and additional features to improve the performance of the device. It has a simple and basic user interface and has Theme Chooser, with gives you an easy access to choose from multiple themes to make your device look more beautiful. The best features are – inbuilt security facilities, Navigation Bar Options, high-speed settings, sound tweaks.
- AOSP- It is based on AOSP, it is customized so well that the device function so smoothly.
- Tweaks- Many tweaks and improvements have been made to it so that the user has no problem while using it. Improvements such as advance Reboot, Hammerhead, Swipe options.
- Theme Chooser– It offers multiple themes to choose from, which will make your device more attractive.
- Privacy guard.
- OTA Updates.